Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night


Track Listings
1. A Hard Day's Night
2. I Should Have Known Better.
John's harmonica opens the lively "I Should Have Known Better", with great backing from George's guitar.
3. If I Fell
"If I Fell", sung by John, but with harmonies sung by him and Paul is one of two great ballads here, and showed how they were progressing in comparison to their contemporaries.
4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
"I'm Happy Just To Dance With Her" is George's only lead vocal, and like "Do You Want To Know A Secret", is a Lennon composition. With the later albums, George would sing the stuff he wrote.
5. And I Love Her
"And I Love Her", the other sweet romantic ballad, is sung by Paul, with Ringo doing some work on bongos. This is one of the reasons why I favour Paul's vocal talents over the other three.
6. Tell Me Why
"Tell Me Why" is the really racing number the Fabs do at the concert finale in the movie
7. Can't Buy Me Love
"Can't Buy Me Love", sung by Paul, is the other song I'd nominate as having that classic Beatles sound. No shot in the arm for materialism here: "I don't care too much for money/money can't buy me love"
8. Any Time At All
"Any Time At All" has John assuring a girl that "Anytime at all, all you gotta do is call and I'll be there.
9. I'll Cry Instead
"I'll Cry Instead" has that late 50's sound the Beatles were used to covering in their early days. I detect a melody similar to the Stones' "19th Nervous Breakdown" in some parts
10. Things We Said Today
"Things We Said Today", another Paul number, is a reflective but mid-paced number distinctive in having that opening guitar riff that repeats itself after Paul finishes the chorus.
11. When I Get Home
12. You Can't Do That
13. I'll Be Back
The last three songs are all John songs: there's a kind of stomping rhythm in "When I Get Home", "You Can't Do That" is one of those jealous man songs that would figure later in Rubber Soul--e.g. "Run For Your Life". The slightly gentler "I'll Be Back" seems to be an afterthought to "You Can't Do That"

0 comments: